|Price: $495.00 (Early Registrant Price $475.00)
Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 15.50 hours
As healthcare providers, we often want to provide compassionate, well-informed, healing care that addresses the patient in their entirety. While many have taken active steps to be more inclusive and comprehensive in their treatment, it can remain a daunting task where one is uncertain where to begin. This 2-day online course is packed full of clinically relevant and applicable information designed to help those who are striving to reframe their understanding of sex and gender.
Participants will gain up-to-date, in-depth knowledge of the various terminology used by and relating to LGBTQ+ individuals. They will also acquire an understanding of the social, economic, psychological implications on the health of this community. This course will emphasize clinical interactions, currently available research, and professional accountability.
When it feels overwhelming and nuanced, it can be tempting to avoid uncomfortable topics altogether. However, attendees for this course can expect to be gently guided into the sometimes confusing realm of gender and sexual orientation and identity. This course will provide a safe space to ask all the questions about caring for LGBTQ+ patients and practicing the skills needed to help advance your practice. Although this course will cover pelvic floor physical therapy specifically, it is appropriate and useful for any medical professional as we all have patients in the LGBTQ+ community.
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Brianna Durand, PT, DPT earned her Doctor of Physical Therapy at Texas Woman’s University in Houston, TX. During graduate school, she led and co-founded PT Proud, a Catalyst Group within the Health Policy and Administration Section of the APTA, to improve the education, equity, and inclusion of LGBTQ+ patients, students, and clinicians.
Brianna owns and operates Empower Physiotherapy, a private practice in Seattle. As a competitive powerlifter, Brianna enjoys working with strength athletes who experience pelvic floor dysfunction, especially stress incontinence. She is passionate about providing care to individuals in the LGBTQ+ community, including those undergoing hormonal/surgical transition. Additional clinical interests of her’s include: prenatal/postpartum care for trans and gendernonconforming folx and pelvic floor care for patients that are intersex. In her spare time, Brianna enjoys playing board games, lifting heavy, and watching stand-up comedy.
Attention: We are unable to offer "retro-active" discounts (i.e. applying a discount to a transaction after the transaction takes place), so if you are interested in exploring discount options and you are unsure if your transactions is eligible for a discount, please contact us to inquire.
This 10% discount is available for a single registrant who wishes to enroll in 3 or more courses, and pay in one transaction. Registrants wishing to enroll in 5 or more courses should contact us for a customized quote. We can also apply this discount if 2 therapists from a single clinic/hospital enroll in 3 or more courses (ie Registrant A enrolls in Course X and Course Y, Registrant B enrolls in Course X, and Registrants A and B both work at Clinic Z). This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts. Registration and payment must be received at the same time in one credit card payment, one check or one envelop with multiple checks. This type of registration cannot be completed online, if you are wishing to receive the Multi-Course discount please call or email us directly for assistance.
This discount is available for a group of three or more registrants, who all work at the same clinic/hospital, enroll in a single course, and pay in a single transaction or mail in multiple checks in a single envelope. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
Groups of 3-5 receive a 10% discount off the combined price of their group's registrations.
Groups of 6 or more should call or Contact Us so that we can properly create an invoice for your registration.
This 10% discount is available to current students who have yet to earn a license to practice at the time of course registration. This discount is not available to those therapists who have previously held a license, and are currently enrolled in a doctoral, or other post-graduate, program. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
To get this discount when checking out online, use the code Student2021. (Note, this code is only valid for non-licensed students. The H&W admin team will verify that registrants signed up with this code are, indeed, current students prior to their attendance of the course).
First-Time Registrant Discount
This $50.00 discount is available to any therapist who has never before taken a Herman & Wallace course (no previous registrations) and can be used towards the registrant's first Herman & Wallace course (not applicable to Pelvic Floor Level 1/2A/2B or Capstone).
To apply this discount, please use the code FirstTimer2020 during check out. (H&W will check records to verify past attendance.)
Any therapist who has already taken a Herman & Wallace course will earn a $50.00 "referral credit" if:
1. A therapist who has never taken a Herman & Wallace course successfully registers for his or her first course(s); AND
2. In the registration process, the first-time registrant gives the name and clinic/hospital of the therapist who referred them to Herman & Wallace.
A therapist who has earned a $50.00 "referral credit" may use this credit toward any course that is eligible for a "referral discount".
Guest Blogger Credit/Discount
Any therapist who completes a qualifying guest blog post on the Herman & Wallace blog will earn a $50.00 "guest blogger credit". This credit may be applied toward any course eligible for a "guest blogger discount".