Continuing Education Courses > Pregnancy and Postpartum Considerations for High Intensity Athletics - Remote Course > Pregnancy and Postpartum Considerations for High Intensity Athletics - Remote Course - May 21, 2022
Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 9.25
This one-day remote continuing education course is designed to educate practitioners on the unique considerations of pregnant and postpartum athletes engaging in high intensity interval training (HIIT). In this course, which includes live Zoom lecture and lab content as well as prerecorded videos, participants will review the current literature, discuss the unique needs of pregnant and postpartum high intensity athletes, and learn how to most effectively treat these patients as practitioners. The main focus of this course will be to learn how exercising throughout pregnancy, or returning to exercise postpartum may look different for a high intensity athlete versus a non HIIT athlete.
Participants will discuss how anatomical and hormonal changes will affect training for the pregnant and postpartum athlete, and review various modifications for this population. We will also discuss how various stresses placed on the body during these activities may affect pelvic floor muscle function, and review various pressure management strategies that can be utilized during high intensity interval training. There will be 6 hours of pre-recorded lecture/zoom lecture and 2 hours of lab. The lab will be broken up into pregnancy considerations and postpartum considerations. During the pregnancy lab, we will review specific exercise modifications for pregnancy, utilization of breathwork to properly support the pelvic floor during pregnancy, and review how to assess for and tape for diastasis recti. In the postpartum lab we will review how to determine proper activity modification based on ability to manage pressure, review specific activity modifications and breathwork, review accessory work for return to activity, and discuss how to assess pelvic organ prolapse in standing.
Audience: This course is targeted for physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapy assistants, occupational therapy assistants, physical therapy and occupational therapy students.
1.Pregnancy Anatomy review: How hormonal and structural changes will affect activity participation – 45 minutes
2. Review of ACOG recommendations for exercise intensity during pregnancy – 30 minutes
3.Review of postpartum anatomy and anatomical changes (cesarean, diastasis, prolapse, perineal tear) – 45 minutes
One Day Course Schedule:
*Schedule is listed in Pacific Standard Time
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Emily McElrath PT, DPT, MTC, CIDN
Emily McElrath PT, DPT, MTC, CIDN, is native of New Orleans and received her undergraduate degree in Athletic Training at the University of Southern Mississippi and went on to receive her Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences. She is highly trained in Sports and Orthopedics and has a passion for helping women achieve optimal sports performance. Emily is certified in manual therapy and dry needling, which allows her to provide a wide range of treatment skills including joint and soft tissue mobilization. She is an avid runner and Cross-fitter and has personal experience modifying these activities during pregnancy and postpartum. While not working, Emily enjoys time with her husband and two kids.
Attention: We are unable to offer "retro-active" discounts (i.e. applying a discount to a transaction after the transaction takes place), so if you are interested in exploring discount options and you are unsure if your transactions is eligible for a discount, please contact us to inquire.
This 10% discount is available for a single registrant who wishes to enroll in 3 or more courses, and pay in one transaction. Registrants wishing to enroll in 5 or more courses should contact us for a customized quote. We can also apply this discount if 2 therapists from a single clinic/hospital enroll in 3 or more courses (ie Registrant A enrolls in Course X and Course Y, Registrant B enrolls in Course X, and Registrants A and B both work at Clinic Z). This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts. Registration and payment must be received at the same time in one credit card payment, one check or one envelop with multiple checks. This type of registration cannot be completed online, if you are wishing to receive the Multi-Course discount please call or email us directly for assistance.
This discount is available for a group of three or more registrants, who all work at the same clinic/hospital, enroll in a single course, and pay in a single transaction or mail in multiple checks in a single envelope. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
Groups of 3-5 receive a 10% discount off the combined price of their group's registrations.
Groups of 6 or more should call or Contact Us so that we can properly create an invoice for your registration.
This 10% discount is available to current students who have yet to earn a license to practice at the time of course registration. This discount is not available to those therapists who have previously held a license, and are currently enrolled in a doctoral, or other post-graduate, program. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
To get this discount when checking out online, use the code Student2021. (Note, this code is only valid for non-licensed students. The H&W admin team will verify that registrants signed up with this code are, indeed, current students prior to their attendance of the course).
First-Time Registrant Discount
This $50.00 discount is available to any therapist who has never before taken a Herman & Wallace course (no previous registrations) and can be used towards the registrant's first Herman & Wallace course (not applicable to Pelvic Floor Level 1/2A/2B or Capstone).
To apply this discount, please use the code FirstTimer2020 during check out. (H&W will check records to verify past attendance.)
Any therapist who has already taken a Herman & Wallace course will earn a $50.00 "referral credit" if:
1. A therapist who has never taken a Herman & Wallace course successfully registers for his or her first course(s); AND
2. In the registration process, the first-time registrant gives the name and clinic/hospital of the therapist who referred them to Herman & Wallace.
A therapist who has earned a $50.00 "referral credit" may use this credit toward any course that is eligible for a "referral discount".
Guest Blogger Credit/Discount
Any therapist who completes a qualifying guest blog post on the Herman & Wallace blog will earn a $50.00 "guest blogger credit". This credit may be applied toward any course eligible for a "guest blogger discount".