Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 14.5
This two day continuing education course, written and instructed by a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, is intended for pelvic rehab therapists who want to learn tools and stategies from a sex therapist’s toolkit. Lecture topics include bio-psycho-social-spiritual interviewing skills, maintaining a patient-centered approach to taking a sexual history, and awareness of potential provider biases that could compromise treatment. Labs will take the form of experiential practice with Bio-Psycho-Social-Spiritual-Sexual Interviewing Skills, case studies and role playing.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to provide a Comprehensive Sexual Health Interview, recognize potential biases when working with patients, identify ethical considerations, and effectively collaborate with behavioral health providers upon referral. This course is instructed by Mia Fine, MS, LMFT, CST and intended for participants in the medical profession who work with patients experiencing pelvic pain, pelvic floor hypertonicity, and other pelvic floor concerns.
Practitioners can expect engaging lectures, break-out sessions, and labs that implement multi-media to engage all learning styles. Lectures topics include; pre- and post-operative care, specific patient care questions to implement for treatment of the LGBTQIA patient, and ways to encourage optimal wellness. Additionally, attendees will receive customizable forms and patient education materials that can be immediately implemented. Presentations will include not only in-person lectures but also multimedia presentations from leading providers in the fields of surgery, endocrinology, psychology, speech pathology, sex therapy, and social work.
Audience:This course is for the pelvic rehab therapist and others in the medical profession who work with patients experiencing pelvic pain, pelvic floor hypertonicity, and other pelvic floor concerns and would like to learn applicable skills from the sex therapist's clinicl toolkit.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to::
1. Conduct a Comprehensive Sexual Health Interview
2. Identify 4-5 common potential biases that providers experience when working with patients
3. List 4-5 common strategies of working with sexually marginalized individuals
4. Perform effective collaboration skills with mental and behavioral sexual health providers
5. Specify 5-7 current sex therapy and sex education resources to offer patients
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Mia Fine, MS, LMFT, CST, CIIP
Mia (they/she) is a white, queer, neurodivergent, disabled, and relationship-oriented human who is a member of the LGBTQIA+ community. They are also a Washington state clinical supervisor, AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, Medical Family Therapist, sexuality educator, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in both private practice (Mia Fine Therapy, PLLC) and group practice (PNW Sex Therapy Collective) in Seattle, Washington.
Mia is a student of Queer Theory, Intersectionality, and Social Justice, and offers holistic, anti-oppressive, and trauma-informed therapy. They utilize the modalities of Polyvagal Theory, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Wheel of Consent, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, and Transformative Justice in their therapeutic and educational work.
Mia’s specialities are sexual health concerns, eroticism, intimacy, alternative sex and relationships (kink/BDSM and non-monogamy), LGBTQIA+ genders/orientations/
Attention: We are unable to offer "retro-active" discounts (i.e. applying a discount to a transaction after the transaction takes place), so if you are interested in exploring discount options and you are unsure if your transactions is eligible for a discount, please contact us to inquire.
This 10% discount is available for a single registrant who wishes to enroll in 3 or more courses, and pay in one transaction. Registrants wishing to enroll in 5 or more courses should contact us for a customized quote. We can also apply this discount if 2 therapists from a single clinic/hospital enroll in 3 or more courses (ie Registrant A enrolls in Course X and Course Y, Registrant B enrolls in Course X, and Registrants A and B both work at Clinic Z). This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts. Registration and payment must be received at the same time in one credit card payment, one check or one envelop with multiple checks. This type of registration cannot be completed online, if you are wishing to receive the Multi-Course discount please call or email us directly for assistance.
This discount is available for a group of three or more registrants, who all work at the same clinic/hospital, enroll in a single course, and pay in a single transaction or mail in multiple checks in a single envelope. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
Groups of 3-5 receive a 10% discount off the combined price of their group's registrations.
Groups of 6 or more should call or Contact Us so that we can properly create an invoice for your registration.
This 10% discount is available to current students who have yet to earn a license to practice at the time of course registration. This discount is not available to those therapists who have previously held a license, and are currently enrolled in a doctoral, or other post-graduate, program. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
To get this discount when checking out online, use the code Student2021. (Note, this code is only valid for non-licensed students. The H&W admin team will verify that registrants signed up with this code are, indeed, current students prior to their attendance of the course).
First-Time Registrant Discount
This $50.00 discount is available to any therapist who has never before taken a Herman & Wallace course (no previous registrations) and can be used towards the registrant's first Herman & Wallace course (not applicable to Pelvic Floor Level 1/2A/2B or Capstone).
To apply this discount, please use the code FirstTimer2020 during check out. (H&W will check records to verify past attendance.)
Any therapist who has already taken a Herman & Wallace course will earn a $50.00 "referral credit" if:
1. A therapist who has never taken a Herman & Wallace course successfully registers for his or her first course(s); AND
2. In the registration process, the first-time registrant gives the name and clinic/hospital of the therapist who referred them to Herman & Wallace.
A therapist who has earned a $50.00 "referral credit" may use this credit toward any course that is eligible for a "referral discount".
Guest Blogger Credit/Discount
Any therapist who completes a qualifying guest blog post on the Herman & Wallace blog will earn a $50.00 "guest blogger credit". This credit may be applied toward any course eligible for a "guest blogger discount".