Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 15
This two-day, remote continuing education course is designed for the pelvic rehab specialist who wants to expand their knowledge, experience and treatment in sexual health and dysfunction. This course provides thorough introduction to pelvic floor sexual function, dysfunction and treatment interventions for males and females of all sexual orientations, as well as an evidence-based perspective on the value of physical therapy interventions for patients with chronic pelvic pain related to sexual conditions, disorders, and multiple approaches for the treatment of sexual dysfunction including understanding medical diagnosis and management.
Lecture topics include hymen myths, female squirting, G-spot, prostate gland, female and male sexual response cycles, biopsychosocial influences, hormone influence on sexual function, anatomy and physiology of pelvic floor muscles in sexual arousal, orgasm, and function and specific dysfunction treated by physical therapy in detail including vaginismus, dyspareunia, erectile dysfunction, hard flaccid, prostatitis, post prostatectomy as well as recognizing medical conditions such as persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD) and hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) and dermatological conditions such as lichen sclerosis and lichen planus. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to confidently treat sexual dysfunction related to the pelvic floor as well as refer to medical providers as needed and instruct patients in the proper application of self-treatment and diet/lifestyle modifications.
This continuing education seminar is targeted to physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapist assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, and other rehabilitation professionals of all levels and experience. Content is not intended for use outside the scope of the learner's license or regulation. Physical therapy continuing education courses should not be taken by individuals who are not licensed or otherwise regulated, except, as they are involved in a specific plan of care.
None. This class is designed to have one course that focuses on all sexual health material that may be found throughout other H&W courses with a more in-depth focus on specific conditions and medical management.
Assignments and Readings
Prior to start of class, two pre-recorded lectures (25 minutes each) are required to be viewed. There are several lab videos that can be watched at the participants during or after start of class (note they will not be viewed during the course).
Prerequisite Videos to Complete Prior to First Day of Class
8:00 Questions from Day 1
Upon completion of this continuing education seminar, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the anatomy and physiology of the pelvic floor muscels and their role in sexual function
2. Define and list the stages of the female and male sexual response cycle
3. Describe the influences on sexual response cycle including pain, abuse, emotions, and hormones
4. Describe the role of hormones throughout the lifecyle from infancy to reproduction and menopause
5. Demonstrate how to self-treat with dilators
6. Recognize and Identify considerations in special populations including LGBTQ, geriatrics, orthopedic limitations, and comorbidities
7. Describe medical treatment approach to pain, arousal, and orgasm disorders including PGAD, ED, endometriosis, adenomyosis, vulvodynia
8. Define the role of other healthcare professionals including MDs, Naturopath, and sex counselors and recognize appropriate referral
9. Describe different surgical procedures including laser, vaginal rejuvenation, vaginoplasty and others
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Tara Sullivan, PT, DPT, PRPC, WCS, IF
Tara Sullivan, PT, DPT, PRPC, WCS, IF started in the healthcare field as a massage therapist, practicing over ten years including three years of teaching massage and anatomy and physiology. During that time she attended college at Oregon State University earning her Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise and Sport Science, and continuing on to earn her Masters of Science in Human Movement and Doctorate in Physical Therapy from A.T. Still University. Tara has specialized exclusively in Pelvic Floor Dysfunction treating bowel, bladder, sexual dysfunctions and pelvic pain since 2012. She has studied through Herman and Wallace and earned her PRPC, as well as becoming a board certified clinical specialist in women’s health (WCS) through APTA and a fellow of the International Society for the study of Women Sexual Health (IF)
Tara established the pelvic health program at HonorHealth in Scottsdale and recently expanded the practice to 2 other locations across the valley. She continues to treat patients with her hands-on individualized approach, taking the time to listen and educate her patients, empowering them to return to a healthy and improved quality of life. She is adjunct faculty speaking at the annual conference for the International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health (ISSWSH) and teaches an elective course at Northern Arizona University (NAU) and Franklin Pierce University on Pelvic Health. Tara is very passionate about creating awareness on Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and recently launched her website pelvicfloorspecialist.com to continue educating the public and other healthcare professionals.
Attention: We are unable to offer "retro-active" discounts (i.e. applying a discount to a transaction after the transaction takes place), so if you are interested in exploring discount options and you are unsure if your transactions is eligible for a discount, please contact us to inquire.
This 10% discount is available for a single registrant who wishes to enroll in 3 or more courses, and pay in one transaction. Registrants wishing to enroll in 5 or more courses should contact us for a customized quote. We can also apply this discount if 2 therapists from a single clinic/hospital enroll in 3 or more courses (ie Registrant A enrolls in Course X and Course Y, Registrant B enrolls in Course X, and Registrants A and B both work at Clinic Z). This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts. Registration and payment must be received at the same time in one credit card payment, one check or one envelop with multiple checks. This type of registration cannot be completed online, if you are wishing to receive the Multi-Course discount please call or email us directly for assistance.
This discount is available for a group of three or more registrants, who all work at the same clinic/hospital, enroll in a single course, and pay in a single transaction or mail in multiple checks in a single envelope. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
Groups of 3-5 receive a 10% discount off the combined price of their group's registrations.
Groups of 6 or more should call or Contact Us so that we can properly create an invoice for your registration.
This 10% discount is available to current students who have yet to earn a license to practice at the time of course registration. This discount is not available to those therapists who have previously held a license, and are currently enrolled in a doctoral, or other post-graduate, program. This discount cannot be used in combination with any other discounts.
To get this discount when checking out online, use the code Student2021. (Note, this code is only valid for non-licensed students. The H&W admin team will verify that registrants signed up with this code are, indeed, current students prior to their attendance of the course).
First-Time Registrant Discount
This $50.00 discount is available to any therapist who has never before taken a Herman & Wallace course (no previous registrations) and can be used towards the registrant's first Herman & Wallace course (not applicable to Pelvic Floor Level 1/2A/2B or Capstone).
To apply this discount, please use the code FirstTimer2020 during check out. (H&W will check records to verify past attendance.)
Any therapist who has already taken a Herman & Wallace course will earn a $50.00 "referral credit" if:
1. A therapist who has never taken a Herman & Wallace course successfully registers for his or her first course(s); AND
2. In the registration process, the first-time registrant gives the name and clinic/hospital of the therapist who referred them to Herman & Wallace.
A therapist who has earned a $50.00 "referral credit" may use this credit toward any course that is eligible for a "referral discount".
Guest Blogger Credit/Discount
Any therapist who completes a qualifying guest blog post on the Herman & Wallace blog will earn a $50.00 "guest blogger credit". This credit may be applied toward any course eligible for a "guest blogger discount".