Continuing Education Courses > Parkinson Disease and Pelvic Rehabilitation
Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 9
This virtual course will reintroduce basic neuroanatomy followed by a detailed overview of pelvic neurophysiology to prepare us for an extensive in-depth look at pelvic health treatment options for a person with Parkinson's disease.
Preparatory lectures will help develop a clear understanding of Parkinson's disease. This will establish an equal baseline knowledge base for the participating clinicians that have worked extensively with or have never worked with people that have Parkinson's disease.
We will look in-depth at all of the characteristic pelvic health conditions people with Parkinson's disease may face and you will be provided with a multitude of options for your assessment and treatment planning. Additional topics of discussion will include considerations when completing a pelvic musculoskeletal examination with your neurologic clients as well as applications for TENS in the neurologic population.
You may choose to have a TENS unit for use during the TENS lecture for application on yourself. You may also want to have a variety of colored pencils available to you for a few of the lectures to help in your understanding of the complex neurophysiological pathways you will learn about.
Upon completion of this virtual course, participants will be able to:
1. List key parts and functions of the central and peripheral nervous system
2. Identify brain regions and regulatory pathways of neurologic pelvic function
3. Understand how to complete an initial neurologic based pelvic musculoskeletal examination
4. Describe options for the use of TENS for neurogenic bladder and bowel
5. Explain the neuroanatomical reasons for bladder, bowel, and sexual dysfunction in people with Parkinson disease
6. Develop advanced bladder, bowel and sexual health assessment techniques and treatment plans for people with Parkinson disease
We always want to hear from those interested in hosting our courses. We work with healthcare organizations of all types, sizes, and locations. Please, Contact us about Hosting Parkinson Disease and Pelvic Rehabilitation or any other course!