Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 10
This virtual course will introduce basic neuroanatomy with a detailed overview of pelvic neurophysiology in preparation for an extensive in-depth look at pelvic health treatment options for Parkinson disease. Pelvic floor external and internal neuro-musculoskeletal assessment considerations will be instructed with the understanding that participants have prior experience in pelvic health coursework or pelvic health patient treatment experience.
Preparatory lectures about Parkinson disease will help develop a clear understanding of the neurophysiology of the disease to establish an equal foundation between experienced practitioners and those who have never worked with this patient demographic. Live course lectures deep-dive into characteristic pelvic health conditions that people with Parkinson's disease may face, discuss multiple assessment and treatment planning options, and will also discuss applications for TENS in the neurologic population.
You may choose to have a TENS unit available for use during the TENS lecture for application on yourself, but this is not required. It is highly recommended that you have a variety of colored pencils available to you for a few of the lectures to help in your understanding of the complex neurophysiological pathways you will learn about.
Upon completion of this virtual course, participants will be able to:
1. List key parts and functions of the central and peripheral nervous systems
2. Identify brain regions and regulatory pathways of neurologic pelvic function
3. Understand neurologic based pelvic musculoskeletal external and internal examination considerations
4. Describe options for the use of TENS for neurogenic bladder and bowel
5. Explain the neuroanatomical reasons for bladder, bowel, and sexual dysfunction in people with Parkinson disease
6. Develop advanced bladder, bowel and sexual health assessment techniques and treatment plans for people with Parkinson disease
We always want to hear from those interested in hosting our courses. We work with healthcare organizations of all types, sizes, and locations. Please, Contact us about Hosting Parkinson Disease and Pelvic Rehabilitation or any other course!