Pending & Active: int(11)
|Price: $495 (Early Registrant Price $475)
Experience Level: Beginner
Contact Hours: 15
This is a two day continuing education course in which participants will gain the medical knowledge necessary to work as a competent member of an oncology team. The therapist will have a basic understanding of diagnostic tests, medical and surgical interventions to provide appropriate and optimal therapeutic interventions for breast cancer patients. The therapist will understand signs and symptoms of breast cancers to serve as early interventionists as well as provide education regarding prevention and wellness.
Chemotherapy, radiation and pharmaceutical side effects will be discussed as well as expected outcomes in order for the therapist to determine appropriate therapeutic parameters. Participants will expand their knowledge of manual therapy techniques, exercise program development for cardiovascular, musculoskeletal and lymphatic health. Recognition of early warning signs of lymphedema will be presented in order to recognize when a referral to a lymphedema specialist is warranted.
This continuing education seminar is targeted to physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapist assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, and other rehabilitation professionals. Content is not intended for use outside the scope of the learner's license or regulation. Physical therapy continuing education courses should not be taken by individuals who are not licensed or otherwise regulated, except, as they are involved in a specific plan of care.
Upon completion of this continuing education seminar, participants will be able to:
1. Voice understanding of the prospective surveillance model as well as benefits and challenges of implementation for the oncologic team.
2. Identify breast anatomy, including muscles, connective tissue, and lymphatic supply.
3. Discuss the diagnosis, medical management and outcomes associated with breast cancers.
4. Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of the pathophysiology of lymphedema through subjective interview and perform a baseline evaluation.
5. Educate the patient on risk factors associated with lymphedema and preventative measures.
6. Perform manual therapy interventions for lymphatic cording and rheudementary manual lymph drainage techniques for stage 0-1 lymphedema.
7. Identify common impairments associated with mastectomy, lymph node dissection and reconstruction.
8. Design an appropriate exercise program for patient’s status-post mastectomy, lymph node dissection and reconstruction.
9. Design an appropriate exercise program for a patient with fatigue or cardiotoxicity secondary to chemotherapy.
10. Discuss the side effects of chemotherapy and hormone therapy for breast cancer as it relates to bone and joint health as well as sexual function.
11. Design an appropriate exercise program for a breast cancer survivor with osteoporosis, cardiotoxity and peripheral neuropathy secondary to oncologic medical interventions.
8:00 Lymphedema Lecture
We always want to hear from those interested in hosting our courses. We work with healthcare organizations of all types, sizes, and locations. Please, Contact us about Hosting Physical Therapy Treatment for the Breast Oncology Patient or any other course!
I love Herman and Wallace courses! This one was fantastic. Lots of good information!
- Catherine W Brock, OTR/L, CLT - Fairhope, AL
The instructor was engaging and very knowledgeable! She is passionate about her practice which made this course even better! I cannot wait to use this knowledge and techniques with my patients! I recommend this course for everyone!
- Emilee Sobucki, PT, DPT - Riverview, FL
Susannah is very knowledgeable and dedicated.
-Sharon Jia, DPT, CLT - Cleveland, OH
My colleagues and myself thoroughly enjoyed the Breast Cancer course this weekend. We were lacking some knowledge regarding this disease and this course certainly filled in the gaps along with gaining new tools to help our clients who are going through a difficult period. Susannah was awesome!! She was well spoken and very knowledgeable. It was a great learning environment and I would highly recommend this course to anyone involved with this clientele.
Susannah was so wonderful! She kept me interested the whole time. She really helped ignite a new potential area of expertise that I really want to pursue. I see so many patient that have dealt with breast cancer in the past and still have problems that I feel I am ready and capable to address for them.
-Laurie Gauthier, PT, DPT - Chicago, IL
Susannah is very educated and experienced on the topic. Great mix of lecture and lab. Nice relaxed class with great info.
-Julie Maty - IL