Continuing Education Courses > Sexual Medicine in Pelvic Rehab
|Price: $495 (Early Registrant Price $475)
Experience Level: Intermediate
Contact Hours: 15
This 2-day continuing education course is designed for the pelvic rehab specialist who wants to expand their knowledge, experience, and treatment in sexual health and dysfunction and provides thorough introduction to male and female pelvic floor sexual function, dysfunction and treatment interventions. The course will provide an evidence-based perspective on the value of physical therapy interventions for patients with chronic pelvic pain related to sexual conditions, disorders, and multiple approaches for the treatment of sexual dysfunction including understanding medical diagnoses and surgical procedures.
Lecture topics include female and male sexual response cycles, biopsychosocial influences, hormonal influence on sexual function, anatomy and physiology of pelvic floor muscles in sexual arousal, orgasm, and function. Specific dysfunction treated by physical therapy in detail including vaginismus, dyspareunia, erectile dysfunction, hard flaccid, prostatitis as well as recognizing medical conditions such as persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD), hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), FOS, FOIS, vestibulodynia, endometriosis, and adenomyosis will also be discussed.
During labs, participants will have the opportunity to review multiple case studies, patient interviewing, and practice manual therapy techniques to treat sexual dysfunction. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to confidently treat sexual dysfunction related to the pelvic floor as well as refer to medical practitioners as needed and instruct patients in the proper application of self-treatment and diet/lifestyle modifications.
This continuing education seminar is targeted to physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapist assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, and other rehabilitation professionals. Content is not intended for use outside the scope of the learner's license or regulation. Physical therapy continuing education courses should not be taken by individuals who are not licensed or otherwise regulated, except, as they are involved in a specific plan of care.
Pre-requisitesThis course requires prior experience with internal exams. Pelvic Floor Level 1 is a prerequisite course.
Assignments and Readings
Upon completion of this continuing education seminar, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the anatomy and physiology of the pelvic floor muscels and their role in sexual function
2. Define and list the stages of the female and male sexual response cycle
3. Describe the influences on sexual response cycle including pain, abuse, emotions, and hormones
4. Describe the role of hormones throughout the lifecyle from infancy to reproduction and menopause
5. Demonstrate how to self-treat with dilators
6. Recognize and Identify considerations in special populations including LGBTQ, geriatrics, orthopedic limitations, and comorbidities
7. Describe medical treatment approach to pain, arousal, and orgasm disorders including PGAD, ED, endometriosis, adenomyosis, vulvodynia
8. Define the role of other healthcare professionals including MDs, Naturopath, and sex counselors and recognize appropriate referral
9. Describe different surgical procedures including laser, vaginal rejuvenation, vaginoplasty and others