Continuing Education Courses > Bowel Pathology, Function, Dysfunction and the Pelvic Floor - Remote Course
Experience Level: Intermediate
Contact Hours: 11.5
This intermediate, two-day remote course covers the details of normal gut motility, bowel function, medical tests and medications relating to diagnosing and treating the medical side of bowel dysfunction. Main topics discussed are fecal incontinence, chronic constipation and abdominal pain and how they relate to pelvic floor muscle dysfunction and physical therapy interventions. Topics relating to basic foods along with over-the-counter and prescription products are explained in aiding or to increase or slowing gut motility.
Visualization of biofeedback, intra-rectal electrical stimulation use is discussed. Each participant will purchase a rectal balloon set to practice inflation/deflation in order to be ready for use in clinic.
This continuing education seminar is targeted to physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapist assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, and other rehabilitation professionals. Content is not intended for use outside the scope of the learner's license or regulation. Physical therapy continuing education courses should not be taken by individuals who are not licensed or otherwise regulated, except, as they are involved in a specific plan of care.
It is required that the participants have a working experience with evaluating and treating patients with pelvic pain inclusive of both vaginal and rectal examination. Pelvic Floor Level 1, through Herman & Wallace or Pelvic PT 1 through the APTA is strongly recommended.
Upon completion of this continuing education seminar, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the structures and functions of the digestive system, and have a general understanding of bowel disease.
2. List general medical assessment, medical tests and outcomes, medications given and how they relate to pelvic floor function/dysfunction.
3. Perform self-abdominal palpation to address myofascial abdominal restrictions around the area of the duodenal sphincter and ileocecal valves along with instruction of home bowel massage.
4. Analyze the use of sEMG biofeedback, intra-rectal stimulation to increase or decrease pelvic floor muscle activity along with anorectal ballooning explanation and demonstration of technique.
5. Create an appropriate plan of care based on a patient’s symptoms and physical examination.
8:00 Introduction and Zoom basics
8:00 Questions & Answers
Attending a remote course is easy and safe, and you can do it entirely from the security and comfort of your own home or clinic without having to find a lab partner.
Important thing to note:
- Our policy for applying for continuing education credit for remote courses differs from that of our in-person and satellite lab courses. Read the specific language of the policy here. Depending on the state in which you practice, you may need to submit your own application to your state board or approving body should you wish that it be approved for continuing education credit in your state.
- To attend a remote Herman & Wallace course, registrants will need Zoom video conferencing software. This is a requirement. One can create an account and download the software to their computer at https://zoom.us/
- We use the Pacific Time Zone for all of our remote course start and end times (this is not the case for in-person and satellite lab locations). Please make a note of this and set your calendar accordingly.
- A Zoom account is free to create. Before the meeting, we recommend having a practice Zoom session with a friend or colleague so you can test your microphone, video, and internet connection. You can participate in any remote course from the comfort of your home, but will need a stable internet connection in order to participate. We recommend downloading the software and practicing a call with a friend or colleague prior to your course with us. Zoom also offers video tutorials on their website at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials.
- Still have questions about Remote Courses? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions on Remote Courses
Excellent course. Well explained. Gives lot of time for questions.
- Catherine Mascal, PT - Sacramento, CA
This was a great course with a wonderful instructor! I feel much more confident with treating bowel disorders!
- Morgan Hartmann, PT, DPT - Draper, UT
I started H&W classes >1.5 years ago and don’t plan on stopping soon. Each new topic opens another look for exploration. Thank you!
- Sheena Dauer, DPT - Montevideo, MN
Lila does a great job of facilitating the class to keep it interesting, yet relevant to the topic. She uses a good amount of humor and personal experiences, yet limits others(respectfully) from deviating from the purpose of the course and our roles as therapists.
- Brooke Erstad PT, DPT, WCS - West Fargo, ND
Lila was awesome! I learned so much form her and this course. This course very nicely complements 2A for further bowel knowledge.
-Megan Rorabeck, DPT - Portsmouth, NH
Lila and Dana were awesome. The bowel pathology course was extremely helpful! Now feel confident in treating chronic constipation and fecal incontinence.
-Ellen Yost, DPT, CLT - North Derwick, ME
Great informative course!
-Lisa Gable, PT - Knoxville, TN
I’ve learned an incredible amount of material. This weekend that I will be able to immediately put in to practice. Thanks for sending such an amazing instructor to Maine!
-Kacey Hutchins, PT - Blue Hill, ME
Lila presented a comprehensive course that I will benefit from immediately for both patients and personal information to help through information research in bowel pathology.
-Jill L. Overlock, PT - Bangor, ME
Very helpful every day. Feel much better-treating bowel pathology pts. That I did before this weekend.
-Louise Litzy, PT - Danville, PA
Lila is an incredible teacher who really loves the course naturally!
-Katey Blumenthal, DPT - Salt Lake City, UT
Great course! Great information and Examples.
-Tara Phelps, DPT - Helena, MT